Hello World!

So as you may have noticed, this blog has been pretty quiet.  I set it up a few weeks ago, but wasn't sure how to start or what to blog about.  In the end, it seems like a welcome post is the place to start.

First off, a little about me.  I graduated RPI in 2011 with a degree in Computer and Systems Engineering.  During my time there I worked as a TA for the Cisco Networking Academy and I jumpstarted their VMware academy as well, becoming their first VCP instructor.  After graduation I joined Cisco as a TAC engineer on the Server Visualization team.  This is the team that provides support for the UCS (B and C series), Nexus 1000v, and various hypervisors.  During my time there I developed and delivered many chalk talks and bootcamps (including a Cisco Live lab).  Recently I made the jump to a new company - Nutanix.


Founded in 2009, Nutanix is a relatively new player in the market.  Our secret sauce is all in the storage software.  In a nutshell, Nutanix is a distributed system with all the features of a traditional storage array, but without the dedicated array and with linear performance (the first node has the same performance as the 1000th). Here's a 5 minute video that explains it extremely well:


An important thing to note is that the secret sauce is all in the software - while it only runs on 'Nutanix' servers right now these server are generic Supermicro servers.  Overtime the supported server list will grow.

So with that out of the way, we have the last question - what is this blog about?

My goal with this blog is to provide technical overviews, deep dives into specific technologies, and in general provide useful troubleshooting tips.  These will mostly focus around hypervisors (ESXi, Hyper-V, KVM), Nutanix technologies, and server management.

I hope that this blog is useful to you!